Background

Saturday, June 19, 2010

6 months!

As many of you know, I made an New Year's resolution for myself to not buy any item of clothing, shoes or accessories for 6 months! It was no easy thing for me to do; I LOVE shopping!  I LOVE fashion! and I LOVE looking for great deals!  

So as July 1st is inching closer and closer, I think I need to take sometime to reflect on the past six months and see how this goal has changed the way I dress, shop, spend money, and value the things that I have.

Here are some of E's revelations:  

*Out of sight-out of mind! 
I found myself avoiding shopping altogether in order to not find something I "couldn't live without."  If I wasn't around retail stores, I wasn't thinking about buying things.

*Cold turkey is pretty tough
I knew cutting spending on all non-necessities would be impossible; we all have vices and things we enjoy.  So I allowed myself to spend a little money on a few things:
1.  A trip to Washington DC to visit my best friend.  Although I did spend the money on the plane ticket and food, I also saved money by staying with friends and avoiding clothing shops.
2.  Adorable measuring cups from my favorite store Anthropologie.  They were on clearance and I knew I would never find anything like them again-- they were, afterall, Russian Stacking dolls!
3.  Crafting items.  This is one area I might have cheated a little on- I can't go long without wanting to make something.  I did drastically limit the amount of craft items I bought and am now listing the items I made my Etsy store or giving them as gifts.
4.  Going out.  While I am lucky to be a girl- which saved me a lot of money- I do enjoy a delicious meal and going out and did splurge a few times.

*I have a lot of great things!
I knew I had a lot of great clothes before I began this goal, several items being quite old.  A classic item will always be classic-- hold on to your classic items!  Splurge on something you know you will wear a lot- make sure it will last forever.

*Figuring out the things I really need
Not being able to buy anything for 6 months, I was able to evaluate what I had and what I could really use.  I created a list of items I found myself constantly wishing I had.  And it was surprisingly short!  

1. A red cardigan was something that I was constantly wishing I had in my wardrobe.  
2. Sunglasses, 
3. belts (brown and black), 
4. a watch, 
5. cowgirl boots
6. Gladiator sandles
7.  a nice nude bra round off the list.   

I told you it was short! This made me really use the things I have and appreciate how great they are.  I don't need new things to look and feel great! 

*Get Creative
I became more and more creative with my outfits; I began to combine interesting colors, added unique accessories, and wore things confidently that before I wasn't so sure about.

*Make sure your clothes fit
We tend to avoid wearing things that don't fit us just right and I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me well.  Making sure that my clothes fit well by having them tailored made me so much more comfortable wearing nicer clothes.  And..... I wear them a whole lot more now.  

*Hold on to the things you love
My boss, Cindy and I have had several discussions about my goal throughout the last 6 months and she has told me on multiple occasions about items of clothing she donated that she is now kicking herself over.  "Erika! I had this great, expensive leather jacket that some girl in Soho has found in a vintage shop and now is looking fabulous in!" Moral of the story, hang on to those things you love-- they'll be back in style!

Now this whole experience was also to help me save money.  As I have reviewed my finances, I realize that I can't revert back to buying; its just not in the bank at the moment. So I have decided to use my birthday to get the things I really need...and maybe a few things that I really want, then continue my goal through the end of the year!  Another 6 months to evaluate, save, get creative, focus on other things!

2 comments:

  1. WOW - What a great post. I'm glad you learned so much and feel so good about yourself. I hope you are able get the things you need for your birthday! I did see one thing missing from your list - new tired for Windston (haha)!
    Love you!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive :) I liked your skirt idea today! With the Chang Mai Dragon fabric...

    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete