Background

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Memories of Cafeteria Food

My memories of elementary school are quite scattered, but what I do really really remember were the amazing school lunches.  Once a month, dad would sit down with us and go over the next month's menu and we would choose which ones we would have.  While I loved pizza days, macaroni and cheese, and tacos.....my all-time favorite was chicken nuggets with mashed potatoes and gravy.  

On our way to Oklahoma City, Cindy, her boyfriend Scott and I stopped a buffet restaurant called Sam's.  Its such a mom and pop place that they don't even have a website!  As soon as we walked in, the smell of Ranch Height's elementary school cafe came wafting into my nose!

I skipped right past the extensive salad bar and made my way to the good stuff......

fried okra, sausage and sour kraut (not as good as Grandma B's!!), country fried chicken, broccoli and rice casserole, buttered noodles and mashed potatoes and gravy!  I pretty much licked my plate clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment