Background

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Floatin' Down the River

Ever since I interned in Houston, two years ago now, everyone I have encountered has told me I HAVE to 'float the river.'  Well, finally I know why everyone is so crazy about it.  When the temperature is riding around 100 degrees, there aren't many things you can enjoy doing outside.  What better way to spend a hotter-than-the-sun afternoon than riding an intertube down a chilly river enjoying some cold brewskies!

This past weekend, Greg, Adrienne and I took a mini vacation over to Austin to visit Greg's friend Bugsy.  Bugsy and his girlfriend invited us to 'float the river' with them and it was everything everyone had built it up to be!

After arriving in a small town called New Braunfels, we joined thousands of other people renting tubes to enjoy a relaxing ride down the Guadalupe River.  Of course we each had our own tubes, and of course we had a special tube just for our cooler full of beer!

For over 4 hours, we lazily made our way about 2 miles downstream, relaxing and enjoying the cool water and the warm sunshine.  A few times we encountered some small rapids, which is why we chose not to bring any cameras, phones or anything else valuable that could get lost.  Some of us were more successful than others not spilling their beers when we hit the rapids!

While lots of people use the river ride as an excuse to drink, drink, drink, I really enjoyed how relaxing it was.    I didn't have to think, worry, stress about anything for an entire day!  I have no hesitation in saying, if you ever get the chance.....you HAVE to float the river!

P.S. You may believe this, you probably won't....but NONE of us got sunburnt!

No comments:

Post a Comment