Background

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

DC Day 1


This weekend I took a break from the heat of Houston and headed to Washington DC to visit my best friend, Lisa.  You may remember her from several adventures in Paris, "Birthday Extravaganza" and "Three Americans in Paris" and several posts from Switzerland!  She has been one of my best friends for 10 years now and I love how she pops in my life in the most unexpected places!
Lisa is moving to Washington DC for the summer to work as a summer associate at a law firm; I took full advantage of her first few days in town to hang out with her and several of her friends.  We did very few touristy things but I had to prove that I was actually in the city-- so here's me in front of the Washington monument.
With a few of Lisa's friends we were able to take a tour of the Capitol from a staffer for Congressman Hodes from New Hampshire .  It was one of the most entertaining tours I have ever been on; our tour guide Luke was absolutely hilarious describing people and places with adjectives I cannot include in my description!

The white star I am stepping on, marks the center of Washington DC.  The city is divided into four quadrants from this point and it is considered good luck to slide your foot over the star.

While Lisa was busy chatting away with Luke about the amazing decisions and events that have taken place in the building, I was busy taking pictures of the amazing design.  The domed ceilings with sparkling chandeliers......

the mosiac tiled floors.....
and the amazing architectural elements and really awesome looking furniture!
Lisa in the old judicial room-- as a student at Harvard Law, she was glowing with excitement in this room...no joke.
Looking out a window from the Capitol building, we could see the Washington monument off in the distance.

Our tour group: Kristin, Lisa, Amar, Jordan, Luke, me!

Our tour took us late into the afternoon and we were all looking forward to a big lunch.  Although Indian food is not really my cup of tea, I really enjoyed everything I ate at a small Indian restaurant.

On Friday evening, Lisa and I took a trek out to Virginia to hang out with some more of her friends and to see.... the Legwarmers.  The Legwarmers are an 80s cover band that entertained us for more than 3 hours with their incredible list of 80s tunes that included almost all of my favorites!  "99 Red Balloons," "Total Eclipse of the Heart" which I sang all out with some random guy in a white pin-striped suit, "Safety Dance" and of course "Don't Stop Believing!"  For the remainder of the weekend, I dreamt in 80s music.

Stay tuned in to hear about the rest of my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment