Background

Monday, October 18, 2010

Mums the word

I always talk about my boss Cindy....and more often than not, her boyfriend Scott, is hanging around close by.  Scott is just as awesome as Cindy- he is a high school teacher and football coach, taught me how to two-step and makes some of the best bbq ribs I've ever had!  So, after months of hearing about Texas's crazy love affair with high school football, I bit the bullet and earlier this month, attended a high school football game.  

It couldn't be just any game either, I went to Klein High School's Homecoming game.  Texas high schools have this crazy tradition for Homecoming- when a guy asks a girl to be his date, there is so much more involved than dinner and a dance partner.  On the Thursday night prior to the game, they exchange "mums" to be worn at school the next day.  What, I assume, began as a simple tradition has now grown to crazy proportions and can only be accurately and kindly described by pictures.  So take a gander below....

Yes! That gigantic thing growing on that girl's chest complete with feather boa, stuffed animals, ribbons galore and a necklace to tie it all together, is a "mum!"

   
While the mums were incredibly impressive, so were the Klein High School's cadets.  A group of 60 girls performing an impressive and completely synchronized routine of high kicks, pirouettes, and splits awed the crowd for 7 mesmerizing minutes.  They were, for lack of a better work, awesome!

Some more mums for you! I couldn't get enough of them! I tried, and simply couldn't never imagine myself being okay with putting one of these on for an entire day at school!  

In all good spirits, Klein High school won their homecoming game!

2 comments:

  1. Gross mums - don't know how that ever got started! But you can tell how great the cadets were by your picture. Amazing!
    Love ya,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cadets look AWESOME! Sounds like a fun time!
    Miss you,
    Shelbe

    ReplyDelete