Background

Monday, February 15, 2010

GLIACs

Well It is about time the A in A and E's Cup of Tea took an active role in this blog and so to keep people updated with what I am doing here is an overview of the GLIAC championships.

This year was extremely exciting and as time goes on, the conference gets faster. It also seems harder and harder to get both men's and women's teams to win at the same time, so instead, we switch off each year. At least that is the trend we have begun. This year was the women's year to win and they did it in spectacular fashion crushing the second place team, Grand Valley, by 118 points. One of my swimmers, Ashley St. Andrew won all of her events and even helped to win all relays she was in.

Here I am coaching Ashley through warmup. This is the fourth time the women have won the championship and all have happened in the past 5 years.
Here are the diver's playing around in between sessions and going off of the 5-meter board to pass the time.
Here is one of the many winning relays. Throughout the meet every single pool record was broken, including my 400 IM from my freshman year which, was the last time we hosted GLIACs.
Me in deep thought, at least one hopes! Coaching, while it seems quite easy is one of the most tiring jobs. I am on my feet for the entirety of the meet and barely have time to find something to eat. I have found that at the end of the day I am more tired from coaching than when I was competing. I know, it doesn't make sense.
Here is the women's team at the end of the meet celebrating their success. This is right before they jumped in the pool with their clothes on to celebrate. Unfortunately, some of them didn't have any other clothes and were forced to brave the cold outside.

All in all, it was a fun and exciting meet with many ups and downs, mostly ups though. The men's team won every single relay even despite losing our fastest sprinter Andrej. He broke his hand on the first night after smashing it into the wall on the finish.

Next on my agenda is finding a job in Houston and finishing the season out in Canton, Ohio for the NCAA championships.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post AJ. Glad to hear everything went so well! Coming off such an exciting and successful season should make job finding much easier. Faj said he saw you today - we miss seeing you with Erika! You better have a great time in Houston because my visit was vetoed due to excessive guests! Good luck in Ohio.
    The Maj

    ReplyDelete